Sunday, November 04, 2007

Kwa-ta-mock and I




It has long been said that you either hate or love Cuauhtémoc Blanco, there is no in-between. This has indeed been my relationship with the player. As a Chiva, I celebrated when my beloved Guadalajara put five goals past America, it is one of my most cherished Superclasico moments. Blanco weeping during post match press conference only made the game more memorable.

And when Blanco put on the Tricolor jersey I had no choice but to cheer him on. It was a weird feeling, like cheating on my girlfriend, but it was for a good cause. So, I was happy when he signed with Spanish outfit Real Valladolid and abandoned the wretched confines of the Televisa owned club America.

Seeing Ancil Elcock chop down Blanco during world cup qualifying was brutal but I would later look at a picture of the Trinitarian’s butchery with a smile, as Blanco had returned to America.

I guess the only time I felt confused was when Ricardo Lavolpe opted to leave out Blanco from the 2006 World Cup Squad. At first I found great pleasure in the Americanistas misery, but deep down I knew his presence was needed with the Tricolor.

When Blanco announced he had signed with the Chicago Fire I rejoiced. First because the enemy team had lost their icon and second because Chivas USA would now have the prefect antagonist in Blanco. I even dreamed of a Chiva-Chicago final.

However, with the elimination of Chivas USA from the MLS playoffs I now find my self, once again, on Cuauhtémoc’s side. Blanco has the chance to redeem himself, as he was never able to triumph abroad. His knee injury, caused by Elcock, pretty much put an end to his venture in La Liga, and in many ways Blanco’s desire to play outside of Mexico.

Also, Blanco can improve the image of the failing Mexican star that the likes of Jorge Campos, Luis Hernandez and Carlos Hermosillo left behind in their mediocre run through MLS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home